Username: Password:

Forum Index > General Talk > Rawr + Mac = ?!?!?!?!?

Asatar > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (778) > 01/11/09 02:57
Does ANYONE know if there is a mac-compatible version of Rawr or similar theorycrafting software / spreadsheet? I've been searching high and low and havnt been able to find anything. I do not currently have access to Boot Camp either, so it has to run natively on OSX10.5.
Chasy > WANNABE TROLL (1482) > 01/11/09 11:38
I have seen a version that runs natively on OS X, requiring Silverlight. However, that version is not public and I can't remember where I got the link from.

I did run it but it felt really unstable, so your best bet is to download the Snow Leopard DMG and create a Windows partition. It can be done without any CD's if you have an iPod for example.
Retired gnome
Silra > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (852) > 01/11/09 12:44
Do you have OSX on Intel?

If so, just grab VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) and install windows in a virtual machine.
Silra - Draenei Shaman
Skwittle - Gnome Warrior
trig > Frequenter (301) > 01/11/09 17:01
1 - Install and run Parallels.
2 - Similar to Vbox but its better because it does desktop integration, and apps run integrated with OSX window manager.
3 - Install windows on parallels.
4 - Install your windows only app.
??????
5 - Profit.

PS: although parallels is paid, you should be able to grab the full app from the usual places.
Silra > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (852) > 01/11/09 20:08
trig wrote:
PS: although parallels is paid, you should be able to grab the full app from the usual places.

If you go that route you might as well grab VMware Fusion.
Silra - Draenei Shaman
Skwittle - Gnome Warrior
legg1 > "I TRIED MY BEST" (98) > 01/11/09 23:08
*sneeze*

VMware fusion indeed

19:22 <@Inanecats> order dvds omg it's totally not worth committing a crime for you wouldn't download a car
Chasy > WANNABE TROLL (1482) > 02/11/09 01:39
Why bother with half-assed emulators, when you can install XP/Vista/W7 native right off the bat?
We are all armchair experts here, but I think we all agree on that a native and stable environment is the route to go, instead of some bullshit emulator/VM,
Retired gnome
Asatar > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (778) > 02/11/09 02:59
Because I dont have a Windows disc or any blank cds to write a copy to.
legg1 > "I TRIED MY BEST" (98) > 02/11/09 07:49
Chasy wrote:
Why bother with half-assed emulators, when you can install XP/Vista/W7 native right off the bat?
We are all armchair experts here, but I think we all agree on that a native and stable environment is the route to go, instead of some bullshit emulator/VM,

Altho vmware fusion runs with proper hardware support and is the next best thing to native install, without the necessity of reboots.

19:22 <@Inanecats> order dvds omg it's totally not worth committing a crime for you wouldn't download a car
Silra > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (852) > 02/11/09 07:51
Chasy wrote:

Actually you'd be surprised with how versatile and stable a virtual machine is, and on modern hardware (mid and upper-range Core 2 onwards) much of it is accelerated in hardware.
For example Asatar can just mount a raw .iso image of windows to install it in a VM without having to burn it, then you can run the application without having to go through a reboot. If you hibernate the VM after using it, it'll get you to your virtualized application within seconds.

(Also technically, I'm a certified expert on virtualization. Wink)
Silra - Draenei Shaman
Skwittle - Gnome Warrior
Mar > WANNABE TROLL (1414) > 02/11/09 18:26
I run Parallels for Outlook/calendar on my Mac Pro at work - works like a charm Smile
You forget one thing: Rock crushes scissors. But paper covers rock... and scissors cuts paper...
Kiff, we have a conundrum. Search them for paper... and bring me a rock.
-- Zapp Brannigan
Asatar > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (778) > 05/11/09 05:02
Ok, so I have copies of Windows XP SP2 Home, and VMWare Fusion, VMWare is all installed and the Windows copy is an ISO which I have mounted. However, when I start up VMWare it cannot detect any Windows boot disc. Do I need to write the Windows ISO to a separate CD or is there a way of doing it without any discs at all.

I have an iPhone which I can use as an external storage device if thats any use?
Silra > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (852) > 05/11/09 08:00
If fusion has the same options as other VMware products:
You may need to go into the virtual machine settings before it's started, and enable an option to enter the VM bios so you can adjust the boot order and put the CD above the hard disk.
Also check in the configuration where you mounted the ISO if you enabled the 'connected/connect at startup' checkboxes.
Silra - Draenei Shaman
Skwittle - Gnome Warrior
legg1 > "I TRIED MY BEST" (98) > 05/11/09 08:06
^

Altho, the boot option isnt necessary to fiddle with in the bios.
It will scan through all medias including floppy / usb / cd-dvd, if no boot is found on the virtual harddrive.

Sure your iso is 100% goodie ?

Asatar > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (778) > 05/11/09 19:57
So I have managed to get Windows 7 working along with VMWare, now for my next question! Can I install Windows 7 using an ISO with BootCamp WITHOUT burning the Windows iso to a separate disc?
legg1 > "I TRIED MY BEST" (98) > 05/11/09 20:18
i think you can mount the iso file like any other iso and do so. not 100% sure tho if it can be emulated as a cd/dvd-rom.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: