Username: Password:

Forum Index > Off Topic > Mass Effect 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Tristanian > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (528) > 04/02/10 02:09
Niralda wrote:
I don't have any major complaints about the combat system personally (plus combat alone would never be enough of a reason for me to like or dislike an RPG). The primary factor that gave me a bad taste was that half or more of the game felt like doing WoW quests with no storyline progression or any tough choices with consequences.

Well, in all honesty, a significant portion of the sidequests in ME1 were just as "dull" (with a few pleasant exceptions, eg the Cerberus quests), at least the main story didn't just consist of 3 planets and then cutting it straight to the endgame, yet on principle followed the same path. Recruit a team, delay the destruction of the galaxy (which will probably be concluded in ME3 when you find a permanent way to get rid of the Reaper fleet).

Quote:
For example, do you find the very obvious paragon/renegade choices about whether to save some random guy that happens to have a bad history with one of the squad members, comparable with the Rachni queen choice? Or with convincing Saren that he was being manipulated at the end of ME1 and him shooting himself? These are good RPG choices that make you "feel sad" about the outcome no matter what choice you made. They add depth to a game and I got the feeling (maybe its not justified) that ME2 was one step behind compared to ME1 when it comes to that.

The Paragon/Renegade system was always obvious, ever since the 1st game. Nothing much has really changed, other than the fact that Renegades in many cases, act as obnoxious assholes (which is bad). As for emotional and "hard" choices. Well, off the top of my head, choosing whether to convert the "heretics" or destroy them, during Legion's personal mission, the choice about destroying the genophage research or keeping it (I believe that later on Mordin's dialogue is different depending on your approach to the mission), there are a few side quests with interesting options as well, for instance the batarian missile where you have to choose which place you want to "save". As for consequences, we really haven't even seen any of it manifest in a meaningful way. Whether you saved the Rachni queen or not for instance, seems to have little effect, other than a "message" through an Asari promising help in the future (ME3 maybe ? who knows). Saving the council or not, appears to have consequences for pretty much everyone else except you :p I'll hold my judgement until the end of the trilogy, I guess.

Quote:
PS. My complaint about the suicide mission was not about deaths being random, I know they aren't and that there are many factors that affect them, but about the fact that if you don't meet the requirements a squad member eats a random projectile instead of dying in a more meaningful way that's based on the wrong choices that resulted in this death.

Well, I'm guess time constraints or costs didn't allow the devs to implement different cutscenes for each possible way to die. Compared to other issues, I'd say this one was minor.

Quote:
I do think the companion sidequests took up too big a part of the story. Not that I didn't like the personal quests, but given that they release the game with a set amount of hours in content, I would have liked more of those hours going into furthering the main storyline, and less into pleasing the people you command. In a way the game took a turn towards something like an action/fps version of the Sims where most of your time is spent making sure your crew is happy.

Aye. The problem really is, that you are basically recruiting 11 people (will be 12 soon, once the new DLC is released), so you don't really have time to get to know ALL of them as much as you would like (or even use them). In ME1 you had half the team, which allowed you to spend more time with your squad mates, so it didn't feel that much "disconnected".

Quote:
WAAAH SOMEONE POSTED SOMETHING I DISAGREE WITH THAT MEANS THEY'RE HATEFUL

No, it doesn't mean you're hateful, because I disagree with you. On the contrary, I agree with many of your gripes, but the ironic way that you present your single line arguments (plus the obvious mockery of the game with those screenshots, that could pretty much apply to many RPG's - and not only - out there) without elaborating on anything, serves no purpose and implies some sort of personal issue with the game. Might as well have posted that basically "the game sucks, stay away from it, even if they pay you to play it". Relax.
If you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal, then you become something else entirely...
Suede > Peon (25) > 04/02/10 08:09
Huh? I'm just posting this crap 'cause I find it amusing as hell, that you can blow off a reporter who's investigating your performance only to go dance in a club while wearing a FABULOUS pink outfit is a point in the game's favor.

Get in the van, I have candy.
Raven > "I TRIED MY BEST" (88) > 04/02/10 12:38
Nice ass.
lapin > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (626) > 09/02/10 01:50
I like the scanning part of the game.
Cookies + Beer = Win!
Tristanian > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (528) > 01/09/10 17:21
Lair of the Shadowbroker DLC trailer :

http://masseffect.bioware.com/media/video/434/
If you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal, then you become something else entirely...

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: