Username: Password:

Forum Index > Off Topic > Mass Effect 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Aleo > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (884) > 23/01/10 16:32
Anyone got the Razor1911 dl and can tell me if its legit?
darchon > GET A LIFE (2092) > 23/01/10 16:56
About to install, will update. It probably is tho, no comments suggesting otherwise, and the site I use is pretty reliable.
Scarz > "I TRIED MY BEST" (87) > 23/01/10 17:22
you can check here (NFOHump) if any releases are nuked
darchon > GET A LIFE (2092) > 23/01/10 17:38
Confirmed, it works.
Grunge > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (551) > 24/01/10 00:23
Pretty disappointed.
Fans glory to the Gladiators,
Gods glory to the Heroes.
Silra > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (852) > 24/01/10 09:43
Grunge wrote:
Pretty disappointed.

Not my opinion!
Silra - Draenei Shaman
Skwittle - Gnome Warrior
Grunge > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (551) > 24/01/10 12:17
Silra wrote:
Grunge wrote:
Pretty disappointed.

Not my opinion!

Don't get me wrong, Storywise it's nice (even better than Dragon Age imo), but some of the gameplay changes.
Jesus fucking christ.
Here's some of the complaints:

Ammunition - Seriously, Does the entire galaxy take a huge step backwards in weapons technology or what?

Half the time as a Infiltrator you're spraying it out with the SMG, instead of lining up "killshots" with the sniper like the trailer advertised, simply because the starting Sniper has 10 rounds (as in 10 rounds total ammunition capacity). You get +1 round per ammo "clip" picked up. Talk about retarded.
There is a 60 round "Semi-Auto" sniper when you go recruiting for The Assassin but you trade damage in exchange of capacity/RoF.
Also later in the game you can choose between getting a even more powerful (Single-Shot, 12 rounds if I remember) sniper or a New Weapon Mastery.
However while all the ammunition is supposed to be universal, all your weapons have different ammunition pools.
So it's much better to pick Assault Rifle Mastery (for infiltrator) for example, since it gives you access to another powerful weapon that doesn't share the same ammo pool as the Heavy Pistol.

All this means that in some battles unless you rush the enemy positions and pick up dropped ammo, you're forced to use a weapon you don't like. Not Fun.
Oh, and your teammates have unlimited ammo for whatever weapon they're using.
They were prepared !

Scanning for Ore - Tedious and boring, I'm sure in the future, we'll be scanning planets manually.

Ore in general - I like to complete everything so I've pretty much harvested the majority of the unexplored galaxy so far and I'm now sitting on a few hundred thousand of the various ores, but having upgraded almost everything, there's nothing else to use it for.
Should make it possible to sell on the Galactic Market or whatever.
Unless the market value for Eezo is 100cr - 100000 units. or something. But even then I'd rather sell it than have it rot in the cargo hold.

Friendly AI - I don't remember this from ME1, but You have to babysit your teammates quite often, they tend to either lag behind when set in "Follow" mode or you need to spend time to place them carefully behind cover since if you're a bit off, they just stand in the middle of the battlefield without moving to the closest cover (I guess they really do trust Shepard with their lives).

Hostile AI - All enemies have fixate on you. It's like your teammates have a permanent -90% aggro modifier or something.
It's even more obvious for Infiltrators, since while cloaked, the enemy will attack your teammates, but as soon as cloak drops, they turn around and start shooting you again.
Then again, your teammates are horrible shots, so might be you just do 2k more dps than them.

Inventory - What inventory? Gone, removed, dropped. Finding better guns was always fun, now you get a new one every 2-3 missions and even then it's probably something your class can't even use (unless you play a Soldier).
And don't get me started on the Armor. I've found two new pieces for each slot (Helm/Shoulders/Chest/Legs) and most of the new ones suck/look horrible.
Standard military-issued N7 equipment FTW when saving the universe.
It's not like Cerberus could possibly have any high-tech prototype superarmor lying around anywhere.

Oh and your teammates dont' have armor (except two) they have outfits that offer limited or no protection from high-tech gunfire.
They're just that rambo.

Starting Choices - Since I played ME1 a long time ago, I didn't have any savegames from it. However instead of giving you a option of "choosing" what happened (At the start of the game, ask "Have you played ME1 or whatever", so many ways to implement this), you get railroaded into some Human-Centric bullshit choices.

But despite all these flaws, it's still a great game. Just at the moment it feels like "The Two Towers", somewhat mediocre compared to Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King (ME3 hopefully !).

Maybe the ending will surprise me, and elevate the game to Masterpiece status.

BRB. Saving the Universe.
Terrare > "I TRIED MY BEST" (131) > 24/01/10 13:45
cant agree more with u grunge. the storyline tho its what keeps me into the game. and im disapointed most for this: hand cannons only have 24 bullets. wth Sad
nazrm > Frequenter (480) > 25/01/10 11:20
Grunge wrote:
Pretty disappointed.

23:32 Adnade- Naxx for me was like, the best instance ever.
23:32 Adnade- Especially c'thun
Tristanian > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (528) > 25/01/10 12:54
Grunge wrote:

Ammunition - Seriously, Does the entire galaxy take a huge step backwards in weapons technology or what?

Half the time as a Infiltrator you're spraying it out with the SMG, instead of lining up "killshots" with the sniper like the trailer advertised, simply because the starting Sniper has 10 rounds (as in 10 rounds total ammunition capacity). You get +1 round per ammo "clip" picked up. Talk about retarded.
There is a 60 round "Semi-Auto" sniper when you go recruiting for The Assassin but you trade damage in exchange of capacity/RoF.
Also later in the game you can choose between getting a even more powerful (Single-Shot, 12 rounds if I remember) sniper or a New Weapon Mastery.
However while all the ammunition is supposed to be universal, all your weapons have different ammunition pools.
So it's much better to pick Assault Rifle Mastery (for infiltrator) for example, since it gives you access to another powerful weapon that doesn't share the same ammo pool as the Heavy Pistol.

All this means that in some battles unless you rush the enemy positions and pick up dropped ammo, you're forced to use a weapon you don't like. Not Fun.
Oh, and your teammates have unlimited ammo for whatever weapon they're using.
They were prepared !

While I'm not particularly fond of the ammo change myself since, between using biotics and reloading, it introduces some downtime in the combat, it's not that bad. It does force you to switch weapons depending on occasion which had been repeatedly mentioned by the devs and was very much intended. They just didn't want people to be able to snipe their way through any given mission and while I do agree to a certain extend, they went a bit overboard with the ammo for certain types of weapons.

Quote:
Scanning for Ore - Tedious and boring, I'm sure in the future, we'll be scanning planets manually.

Ore in general - I like to complete everything so I've pretty much harvested the majority of the unexplored galaxy so far and I'm now sitting on a few hundred thousand of the various ores, but having upgraded almost everything, there's nothing else to use it for.
Should make it possible to sell on the Galactic Market or whatever.
Unless the market value for Eezo is 100cr - 100000 units. or something. But even then I'd rather sell it than have it rot in the cargo hold.

Completely agree on how tedious and boring scanning is in the game, still it's the only way to procure any meaningful amount of resources to complete research. To be perfectly honest, Element 0 is probably the most important resource, since you'll only find it on very specific planets. On another note, after getting around 150-200k from each of the elements (and around 40-60k of Element 0), scanning planets and deploying probes is pretty much, a waste of time. You'll have more than enough to complete virtually every research project, as long as you buy/find the schematics, so imo the best way not to get bored is harvest a LOT at first, then simply visit planets to scan for anomalies = missions. Ignore the ore, unless you run out. I'm currently sitting at 250k of each ore type (including element 0) and I still need to do personal quests for Thane, Samara, Tali, get the IFF code and move on from that point.

Quote:
Friendly AI - I don't remember this from ME1, but You have to babysit your teammates quite often, they tend to either lag behind when set in "Follow" mode or you need to spend time to place them carefully behind cover since if you're a bit off, they just stand in the middle of the battlefield without moving to the closest cover (I guess they really do trust Shepard with their lives).

Agreed, though it's not so bad. Just always bring Grunt with you, he is a monster, he gets an insane extra ability that enhances his survivability, he is trained in assault rifles and can use incendiary ammo. What more do you need ? :p

Quote:
Hostile AI - All enemies have fixate on you. It's like your teammates have a permanent -90% aggro modifier or something.
It's even more obvious for Infiltrators, since while cloaked, the enemy will attack your teammates, but as soon as cloak drops, they turn around and start shooting you again.
Then again, your teammates are horrible shots, so might be you just do 2k more dps than them.

I feel your pain. This is particularly bad since when you need to focus on a tough enemy and use a heavy weapon to take him out, you have to deal with 100 more insignificant b*stards taking shots at you. Thank God for power armor and throw field !

Quote:
Inventory - What inventory? Gone, removed, dropped. Finding better guns was always fun, now you get a new one every 2-3 missions and even then it's probably something your class can't even use (unless you play a Soldier).
And don't get me started on the Armor. I've found two new pieces for each slot (Helm/Shoulders/Chest/Legs) and most of the new ones suck/look horrible.
Standard military-issued N7 equipment FTW when saving the universe.
It's not like Cerberus could possibly have any high-tech prototype superarmor lying around anywhere.

Oh and your teammates dont' have armor (except two) they have outfits that offer limited or no protection from high-tech gunfire.
They're just that rambo.

Agreed, though in all honesty, there were certain weapons and mods that made all the rest pretty much useless and the game ended right there :p

Quote:
Starting Choices - Since I played ME1 a long time ago, I didn't have any savegames from it. However instead of giving you a option of "choosing" what happened (At the start of the game, ask "Have you played ME1 or whatever", so many ways to implement this), you get railroaded into some Human-Centric bullshit choices.

Can't really comment on that, since I imported my ME1 character. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING you did in the first game, comes back (in some way or another) to haunt you, from tough choices (rachni queen) to side quest characters, you get info on all of them, some will even send you messages and stuff.

Quote:
But despite all these flaws, it's still a great game. Just at the moment it feels like "The Two Towers", somewhat mediocre compared to Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King (ME3 hopefully !).

Maybe the ending will surprise me, and elevate the game to Masterpiece status.

BRB. Saving the Universe.

The story is awesome yes and as usual with top notch voice acting. I've spend around 45 hours into the game and I just can't get enough, I still have a shitload of systems to explore and since my preorder is arriving on Friday, which will enable me to use the DLC bonuses and quests/extra char, I think I may tone it down a notch in terms of speeding through the content.
If you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal, then you become something else entirely...
Grunge > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (551) > 25/01/10 16:27
Tristanian wrote:

Agreed, though it's not so bad. Just always bring Grunt with you, he is a monster, he gets an insane extra ability that enhances his survivability, he is trained in assault rifles and can use incendiary ammo. What more do you need ? :p

Grunt with Fortification and maxed out Krogan Trueblood is OP true, but I find it a bit annoying that it's always most effective to bring him along. For one I don't really like him as a character that much and beyond a few funny oneliners his banter hasn't been as interesting as the Jack-Miranda team I had before.
Tbh, I would've liked more if all the NPC's would've started off with 2 skills (Class & one special non-ammo ability) and then at level up you can choose what you want them to have.

Also I haven't taken any ammo powers on NPCs since the Friendly AI always want to use theirs if it's maxlvl, and I prefer Squad Warp Ammo as my Advanced Training Power (unless I bring Jack instead of Samara)

Tristanian wrote:

I feel your pain. This is particularly bad since when you need to focus on a tough enemy and use a heavy weapon to take him out, you have to deal with 100 more insignificant b*stards taking shots at you. Thank God for power armor and throw field !

For Infiltrator it's actually not that bad since you can drop "aggro" with Assassin Cloaking Field, and then pewpew with the Collector Particle Beam Gun, you rip through Armor like butter : P

Tristanian wrote:

Agreed, though in all honesty, there were certain weapons and mods that made all the rest pretty much useless and the game ended right there :p

Well getting the best weapons is imo part of the RPG experience, finding that Rare Super Gun, before taking on the Ultimate Enemy.
Or doing some sidequests for the Mad Scientist Cid.

But my biggest gripe with the lack of inventory system is that you can't customize your teammates at all (outside 2 outfits), I want them all in real armor not skin-suits.

Tristanian wrote:

Can't really comment on that, since I imported my ME1 character. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING you did in the first game, comes back (in some way or another) to haunt you, from tough choices (rachni queen) to side quest characters, you get info on all of them, some will even send you messages and stuff.

Well I think after I finish my current run I will either replay ME1 or get a savegame from here: ME Saves

Tristanian wrote:

The story is awesome yes and as usual with top notch voice acting. I've spend around 45 hours into the game and I just can't get enough, I still have a shitload of systems to explore and since my preorder is arriving on Friday, which will enable me to use the DLC bonuses and quests/extra char, I think I may tone it down a notch in terms of speeding through the content.

Finishing Tali's Personal quest and then it's time to the finish line myself.
darchon > GET A LIFE (2092) > 26/01/10 01:46
My biggest disappointment was when the last boss lost 50% health from one shot of my mini-nuke launcher. If i had known I would have made sure to be able to carry 2 shots :p

I think the move from heat to clips made the game better, but then I played a class with a few options in terms of dealing damage (vanguard). While the lorelol behind the heatclips is sort of fucked up by weapons not sharing from the same pool of clips, it makes you more conscious about which weapon you use and when, compared to me1 where I just got an assault rifle that was heat stable or very close to it, and shot everything up with it.

Probing is boring, I would much prefer they had used some sort of semi-challenging mini-game upon entering orbit, similar to the games you play when opening doors etc.

The removal of inventory and the almost complete lack of stats could have been done better. I agree that gear management in me1 was a bit of a pain, with so many different slots and versions of each slot, but I think keeping some of it would be nice. I had fun getting my team X'd out in me1 and wouldn't mind something similar here. The fact that its impossible to see the stats of weapons annoyed me. I always liked having to make choices between different strenghts in weapons, now there is only the version number or w/e, and maybe the tooltip saying "this weapon is better than that weapon".

Interaction with the team-mates is a lot of fun, my only regret is that I didn't get Kelly to feed my fish untill I already lost a batch Sad

Thinking of finishing up the last parts of me1 with my soldier, so I can play with some different choices. I mean, who the fuck chooses Udina over Anderson for council? And kills Wrex? Tsk tsk!
Grunge > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (551) > 26/01/10 02:54
darchon wrote:

Thinking of finishing up the last parts of me1 with my soldier, so I can play with some different choices. I mean, who the fuck chooses Udina over Anderson for council? And kills Wrex? Tsk tsk!

Hitler chooses Udina.
Aleo > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (884) > 27/01/10 01:58
Finished two playthrough's now, doing another for insane difficulty/all side q's. My first playthrough sucked, didn't do a single upgrade to the ship and paid for it...and the damn choices.

Agree with the planet scanning/probing thing sucking. Though whats good is after finishing the game once, if you start a new char (import or brand new) you start off with 50k in all materials on top of ME1 bonus.

Ally AI is still bad especially on high difficulty where they drop in 2s. The health/regen system is annoying, much prefered popping medigel and shield recharge over hiding in a corner for a few sec.

Shepard still can't dance...

Can't get enough of this game though, can spend a whole day on the chat/dialogue, seeing all the choice consequence/characters from ME1 is cool too (shooting the Shepard fanboy from ME1 in the foot is great). Samara's quest is my favorite so far.
darchon > GET A LIFE (2092) > 27/01/10 03:04
Samara's quest was nice, but I think I liked the "Recruit the Assasin" better. Not sure why, as it is pretty straight forward.
Suede > Peon (25) > 27/01/10 10:28
I don't really have time to go off on a rant so I'll just be brief with one point that's been pissing me off.

The writing is horrible, and often it feels as if the writers have been forced into churning out bullshit just to appease the player by providing unnecessarily contrived dialogue options.

As an example, I'm speaking to Kelly, she says something to the effect of 'will you catch me if I fall?' and the options are 'STFU AND GIVE ME MY RENEGADE POINTS' 'Yes' and a completely inane 'Yes and I will grope you as well' which I can only assume is there as part of some bizarre scheme to get this bitch in bed.
Grunge > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (551) > 27/01/10 16:42
Suede wrote:
I don't really have time to go off on a rant so I'll just be brief with one point that's been pissing me off.

The writing is horrible, and often it feels as if the writers have been forced into churning out bullshit just to appease the player by providing unnecessarily contrived dialogue options.

As an example, I'm speaking to Kelly, she says something to the effect of 'will you catch me if I fall?' and the options are 'STFU AND GIVE ME MY RENEGADE POINTS' 'Yes' and a completely inane 'Yes and I will grope you as well' which I can only assume is there as part of some bizarre scheme to get this bitch in bed.

The most annoying part is you can't even get the bitch in bed.
But yeah, I find it a bit annoying that you're forced into some stupid options because you want your renegade/paragon points.
darchon > GET A LIFE (2092) > 27/01/10 18:09
What, you can't get there with Kelly? She was so flirting with my female Shepard, it has been my sole reason for 2nd playthrough.

Going to cry in a corner now.
Tobab > "I TRIED MY BEST" (224) > 27/01/10 22:43
darchon wrote:
What, you can't get there with Kelly? She was so flirting with my female Shepard, it has been my sole reason for 2nd playthrough.

Going to cry in a corner now.

I read that you can, but you can't romance anyone else in your crew if you want her.
Grunge > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (551) > 27/01/10 22:47
Tobab wrote:

I read that you can, but you can't romance anyone else in your crew if you want her.

There's no Lesbian sex in ME2.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: